Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Today I was thinking about kindness. Random, right? I think it encompasses a whole lot, like being thoughtful and polite. Bad manners bug the crap out of me! But I am really bad at being thoughtful, I would truly do anything for almost anyone, I just don't think about these things! I also think it involves more than just giving money, it involves time and effort.
I have seen a lot of examples of kindness in my life but the one that surprised me most was when I was working at a gas station and a bunch of punk kids came in. They were usuals so I wasn't worried about them. One of them was a 15 year old boy who I had heard lived in the trailer park with his drunk mom and worked a lot while going to high school. My heart always went out to the kid but he had such a rough exterior that I didn't think to try and be nice to him.
I was talking to my co-worker about how my tummy was hurting because I was so hungry and how Trent was working too so he couldn't bring me anything and how I was getting grumpy and out of it. This young man overheard me and then left with his friends.
He came back 10 minutes later with a bag full of Taco Bell and just left it on the counter and kind of smirked at me. I told him I wanted to pay him back and that I was thankful for the thought but he just shrugged and said don't worry about it! I couldn't get over how just inherently nice this kid was and how even though he grew up in a crappy environment he was still kind and thoughtful.
Anyway, this is a goal I have, to be thoughtful and giving.

3 comments:

sasha said...

that is such a good story, kenz. really made me think a lot.

i had this client that was just awful! i cringed every time i saw her name pop-up on my caller id. after dealing with her for years, one random day i found out a little more about her. she was having a lot of trials and hardships in her life that i have NO IDEA about.

from that day on i was able to have a better understanding of her and be more kind and compassionate from the bottom of my heart for who she is.

everyone is fighting a hard battle...
it's hard to always have that on your mind...

love you!

Mallory said...

Awesome story! Not only because of how great that kid was, but because that little act of kindness made you want to share, be kinder and act, and you spreading the word makes others want to be kind...just imagine where our little acts of kindness can lead.

Thanks for sharing :)

chelse said...

you are so thoughtful kenz. I honestly feel like if I needed anything you would help me out. But that is a super sweet story. I am going to make it a goal too